UAE National Committee to Combat Human Trafficking
A Cabinet order established the UAE National Committee to Combat Human Trafficking in April 2007 to give teeth to Federal Law 51 and to create a coordinating body for anti-human trafficking efforts at all levels in the seven emirates of the federation. The Committee has held several meetings since its formation in addition to frequent activities, visits and organized events and workshops. It is headed by the Minister of State for Foreign Affairs and Federal National Council Affairs, Dr. Anwar Gargash. Its members include representatives from the federal ministries of interior, foreign affairs, labor, health and social affairs, as well as from the State Security Authority and the UAE Red Crescent Society. The responsibilities of the Committee include:
- Developing the framework by which the new anti-human trafficking law will be implemented. The Committee regularly assesses government implementation procedures and assists in the coordination of government ministries and departments concerned with eliminating human trafficking crimes. This coordinating role is important in a federal system and reflects an increased emphasis throughout the UAE on collaborative efforts by local and federal government authorities to monitor and track incidents of human trafficking
- Studying and revising human trafficking legislation with the aim of bringing the UAE efforts in line with international standards and improving national legislation with the experience of realties on the ground. The committee has been authorized to prepare reports on efforts taken by the UAE to fight human trafficking and to make recommendations to the Cabinet
- Creating resources to increase public awareness of human trafficking issues
- Develop victim sensitivity training for the relevant bodies and individuals dealing with victims of trafficking
- Represent the UAE officially in handling international requests, enquiries, and delegations related to human trafficking issues.
It is expected that the Committee’s activities will encourage additionally progressive and aggressive legislative efforts to assure country-wide conformance with international standards and implementation of the laws that are in place.